Why should I study English at Vancouver Island University?
- Fully accredited and flexible programs
- Choice of programs to develop communication skills (6.5 or 13 weeks), academic preparation (6.5 accelerated and 13 weeks) or a short-term (3-weeks or 4-weeks) Language & Culture summer/ winter camp
- Small class sizes
- Access to the facilities and experiences available on the university campus
- Special blend of a caring and nurturing education
- An environment that balances academic accomplishments with social and relationship skills
Students who have successfully completed the highest level of the Academic Preparation stream (Academic Preparation 5) through the English Language Centre, with a minimum grade of “C”, and who are entering Vancouver Island University undergraduate programs, will be given 3 academic credits. These credits recognize the skill development in reaching an advanced level in a second language. These credits may be used for any non-specified elective towards certificate, diploma, and degree programs at VIU.
To help you achieve your goals, the English Language Centre offers Learning Support to all ESL students.
Every top athlete has a coach to help them improve their game or increase their performance. Language learning is no different. There are ways to become a better learner and get the powerful results you are looking for while studying English.
Learning Support includes:
- conversation groups
- individual tutoring
- private language coaching, and
- ELC Learning Centre.