Submit Travel Documents
A primary responsibility for students participating in an Education Abroad program is to complete the pre-departure experience and requirements. All participants on VIU Education Abroad Programs are required to submit their travel documents prior to departure. The following is a checklist of the items for most participants (Exchange students have additional responsibilities).
Due Upon Acceptance
Submit these items immediately, upon acceptance into an Education Abroad Program:
Review the information on the following page and complete the applicable Liability Waiver Form. More information: Cancellation Refund Procedures.
Submit a copy of the photo page of your passport. Passports must be valid until 6 months after your return date. If your passport is "in process" please indicate when you complete the travel registry and provide the copy once received.
- Education Abroad Travel Registry Online App.
Choose your program & destination abroad by using the drop down box. You will need your student number, passport, Care Card Number (or equivalent), Emergency Contact Information, Health Information.
* When you have submitted your application successfully, you should receive an email confirmation, along with information regarding funding options.
- Research Funding & apply for the Global Citizens Network Stipend and start engaging with the global citizen network on campus and earn hours and experiences towards the $500 award.
Due Prior to Departure
Submit these items within 4 weeks of your scheduled departure date:
- Flight Itinerary (if applicable, or provide a travel itinerary if your program allows alternative means of travel). Forward the flight itinerary that shows the dates of when you depart and return to Canada.
- Travel Medical Insurance
All students participating in a VIU Education Abroad Program (exchange, field school, internship, practica, summer program, etc) are required to enroll in and purchase the mandated travel medical policy through guard.me International Insurance (effective January 1, 2018).
- Accommodation & Contact Information Abroad
Provide your address and contact number once accommodation arrangements are confirmed.
Please contact us if you have any questions about the above.