Letter Requests

As an international student, you may need written confirmation of your status as a student in Canada.

You have several options:

  1. Unofficial Transcript – available from your Student Record for no charge.
  2. Self-Service Enrollment Letter – available for most programs from your Student Record for no charge (Not for use in immigration-related applications, see option 5).
  3. Course Enrolment History – available from your Student Record for no charge.
  4. Official Transcript – available in your Student Record. Learn how to order Official Transcripts.
  5. Custom Letter – provided by International Education for immigration-related applications or other purposes. For charges see chart below.

To order customized letters that are required for immigration-related applications (study permit extension, coop work permit, temporary resident visa, post-graduate work permit etc.) or other purposes click the "Request Letter" button at the end of this page.

Plan Ahead. Processing time for these letters is 5 business days (10 days for non-standard letters) and there may be longer processing times during peak periods. Rush service of 2 business days may be available for some letters for an extra $20 charge.

Letter TypeRegular Service
(5 business days)
Rush Service
(2 business days)
Study Permit ExtensionFree$20
Co-op Work PermitFree$20
Temporary Resident VisaFree$20
Graduation LetterFreeNot Available
Confirmation Letter$20$40
Banking Letter$20$40
Restoration Letter$20$40


  • Any outstanding debts or overdue charges related to tuition, medical insurance, residence, library or other VIU related charges on a student account, will need to be settled prior to any letters being issued to student.
  • All letters are emailed in PDF format. You may request a hard copy be sent to the address on your student record.

Request a Letter