Immigration Documents for New Students


Arrange Your Study Documents

Once your enrolment is confirmed, you are eligible to apply for a Study Permit, in order to study as an international student in Canada.

Study Documents Explained

Valid Passport

Should be valid for the duration of studies.

Study Permit

All non-Canadians coming to VIU for a program that is 6 months or longer must obtain a Study Permit: authorization to live and study in Canada. Study Permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Students enrolled in programs shorter than 6 months (e.g. 1-term exchanges or short-term English programs with no conditional acceptance into another program) do not need a Study Permit.

Learn more about Study Permits

Temporary Resident Visa

Depending on your country of origin, you may also be required to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada. Find out if you need a visa to enter Canada.

As you prepare to study in Canada, we recommend that you read IRCC's arrival information, which will explain what documents you will need to have with you when you enter Canada.

Learn more about Temporary Resident Visas

Co-op Work Permit

If your program of studies requires you to do an internship or co-op work permit as indicated on "Letter of Acceptance", you will also need to apply for a co-op work permit. It is advisable to request the work permit at the port of entry. Applying for one once you have begun your studies within Canada is possible, however it can take a few months and may cause delays to your program plan.

Learn more about Co-op Work Permits