Need a little help to make your education abroad dreams come to life? The reality is, most students do.
We know that financial restraints are the #1 barrier for many students to go abroad, which is why we help to facilitate over $70,000 in funding directly through VIU each year to support student participation in Education Abroad programs.
VIU’s Building Resilience in Coastal Communities (BRiCC) program will be offering 24 internship and scholarship positions for VIU students and 7 scholarships to incoming Belizean graduate students from 2016 to 2018. BRiCC QE II Scholars will undertake research, project work and internships in collaboration with community partners in commonwealth countries and Vancouver Island. For more information, see the Queen Elizabeth Scholarship webpage.
Exchange Award: $2,200
Students going on a VIU Exchange program for one or two semesters will receive the Exchange Award of $2,200. Awards are distributed upon completion of the Pre-Departure checklist. Explore the VIU Exchange Program for more information about this opportunity.
Global Citizens Network & Stipend Program: $500
This is your opportunity to engage in international education events on campus, develop your intercultural skills, and earn funding towards your international experience. Earn $500 upon completion of the Stipend Activities. For more information, see Global Citizens Network & Stipend Program page.
Exchange Agent Stipend Program: $750
VIU Exchange Agents are ambassadors of the VIU Exchange Program who help prospective exchange students find out more about the possibilities of exchange through info sessions, classroom presentations, social media campaigns and other events. As a recognition of their time and engagement, Agents are awarded with a $750 stipend per semester, upon completion of the Stipend Activities. See the program page for more information on how to apply to the program. For more information, see the Exchange Agent Stipend Program page.
VIU Scholarships & Awards
VIU Scholarships & Awards manage a number of awards available to students accepted enrolled in VIU Education Abroad programs (exchange, field school, internship or practicum overseas).
To apply, update & submit your Scholarship/Award/Bursary Profile from your student record by the March 31st deadline. The following list is a summary of some of the "Study Abroad" awards available and this information is subject to change. For more information, see VIU Financial Aid & Awards.
Ann Buchanan Liberal Studies Award
- 1 award, $1000; Available to students who are single parents, and who will be attending a Liberal Studies Abroad program.
Emily Hammer International Study Award
- 1 award, $1,000; Available to students in Recreation / Tourism programs who will be participating in an international activity, such as a field school, internship, practicum, co-op work term, research project or semester abroad.
International Internship Award
- 1 award, $3,000; Available to students participating in an internship of at least 3 months in a development country in the global south. Preference will be given to students whose internships are aligned with CIDA priorities and themes.
Morvah Award for International Development
- 1 award, $500; Available to Canadian students working on short-term projects overseas; based first on overall abilities and life goals, then GPA. Awarded on the basis of the Centre for International Studies evaluation of a short proposal demonstrating the following objectives: 1) furthering international awareness and understanding of the economic barriers to poverty alleviation, contributing to initiatives that may be able to overcome these barriers, in a sustainable manner; 2) bringing tangible benefits to both VIU and the host country counterparts, and 3) where possible to leverage co-funding of development projects from other sources (eg CIDA, Province of BC, CCC), to maximize the awards' impact.
Patricia Forbes Awards for Professional Development
- 2 awards, $1,000 each; Available to students in Recreation & Tourism programs, who will be participating in a professional development activity, such as attending a conference, undertaking professional training, or participating in a field school, research project, or semester abroad.
Tony Sorchy Study Abroad Award
- 1 award, $1,000; Available to a Global Studies student, who has an appreciation for global learning, and is studying abroad. Selection is based on demonstrated financial need, volunteerism and a letter of recommendation by VIU Faculty.
Koki Sato International Scholarship
1 award, $300; Available to full-time Canadian or International students, based on academic excellence and demonstrated leadership in international and community development and relations. To apply, update & submit your "Scholarship/Award/Bursary Profile" from your student record by the March 31st deadline. Funds awarded as a tuition credit for the fall semester.
Awarded to students participating in study, or work-abroad programs that are either experiential learning opportunities (language or cultural training), OR that provide credits toward the BC academic credential they are working towards .Scholarships range from $1,000 to $3,500. Read the eligibility criteria carefully before applying. Application deadlines: March 23, 2018 and November 23, 2018. Note: Applications are submitted to VIU Education Abroad. For more information, please see the Irving K. Barber Society site.
This is a prestigious, high-value award, available on a competitive basis to eligible British Columbia students from across the province whose study abroad program is one semester or two consecutive academic semesters of full time study at one institution. In the case of work abroad activities, including applied experiential learning such as cooperative education placements, internships and field work, they may be included if they are an integral part of a student’s study abroad program, but they must be combined with at least one semester of academic work. The next application deadline is April 30, 2018. Apply directly to the Irving K. Barber Society. For more information, please see the Irving K. Barber Society site.
There is an Erasmus+ funded mobility opportunity provided by the University of Huelva for Fall 2018.
To be eligible for this opportunity, students must meet all the requirements for the Exchange Program. To guarantee the principles of transparency, competition and equal competitive opportunities for all participants, the following selection criteria will be used:
a) Average grade on academic record (50%)
b) Level of language (20%)
*Note, it is not necessary to have Spanish language skills but will enhance your application if you do.
c) Other information specified by the student (additional skills, specific academic interest, vulnerable socio-economic situation, etc.) (30%)
Any student applying to the Exchange Program in the Spring 2018 deadline (February 6, 2018) with Spain/Huelva listed as one of their top 3 destinations with a planned Exchange in Fall 2018 will be considered for this funding opportunity. No additional award application is necessary. The successful candidate will be notified by email from VIU Education Abroad. One (1) Erasmus+ funded mobility opportunity is currently available. For more information, please see Erasmus + Guideline or contact EducationAbroad@viu.ca.
north2north Scholarships (Exchange Semester to north2north Partner)
North American students going on a north2north exchange to the northern part of Norway (UiT The Arctic University of Norway, UNIS, Nord University, Sami University of Applied Sciences) and to the Kingdom of Denmark (Denmark, the Faroe Islands and Greenland) may be eligible for a north2north scholarship. Once accepted by VIU as an outgoing Exchange, you apply for a scholarship by choosing the option on the north2north Application form. Be aware that in most cases, the north2north grant alone will not cover all your living expenses. For more information, please see north2north funding.
BC Study Abroad (BCSA) Scholarships
This consortium offers a variety of scholarships. Check out the Stories from Abroad Scholarship, with application deadlines in the Spring semester. For more information, please see BC Study Abroad Scholarships & Awards.
Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) Scholarships
CBIE supports several scholarships for Canadian students wishing to learn abroad. For more information, please see the CBIE website.
Federal Government Scholarships
Explore international scholarship opportunities for Canadian students and researchers to study and conduct research abroad. Explore the database by country of destination to find scholarships, fellowships or funding opportunities made available by Global Affairs Canada and other Canadian federal government departments. For more information, please see the Government of Canada International Scholarships for Canadians webpage.
Student Research Scholarships and Awards
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR)
- The BC Student-Led Research Program
- NSERC (Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) SSHRC-related fields
- Jessica Wilde Fund for Conference Participation
- Warsh Law Corp Undergraduate Research Award
For more information on Research Funding Opportunities, please see: VIU Scholarship, Research and Creative Activity.
Awards, Grants, Scholarships
- Various government agencies offer grants and awards, usually in a provincial or national competition.
- Foreign Government Awards - Korea The Government of Korea through the National Institute for International Education Development offers scholarships to Canadians for study/research at the graduate level. These scholarships are based on reciprocal agreements between the governments of Korea and Canada. Application Deadline: March 20, 2017.
For more information, visit: Foreign Government Awards Program - Korea.
Students approved to participate in VIU Education Abroad programs and who receive funding such as loans, grants or scholarships through StudentAid BC may be eligible to maintain their funding while studying abroad. It is the responsibility of each student to make the appropriate arrangements. The following is a guide to assist in navigating the process, for VIU Education Abroad participants.
Outgoing Exchange Students
It you will be applying for financial assistance from StudentAid BC prior to participating in a planned semester exchange program abroad, you must advise VIU Financial Aid & Awards to ensure you meet the funding eligibility. Because the dates of exchange programs often do not match the dates of enrollment at VIU, your student loan application will require a separate appendix that the Financial Aid Office must complete.
If you were approved for a student exchange after applying for Student Aid BC, you may need to report a circumstance change and/or complete a reassessment process for funding. Please contact VIU Financial Aid & Awards for instructions.
Short Term Education Abroad Programs
For students participating in Field Schools, Internships, Practica and Summer programs abroad who, you may be eilible to StudentAidBC funding.
In order to apply, you must be enrolled in at least 60% (40% for students with permanent disabilities) of a full-time course load for credit, for a period of at least 12 consecutive weeks. The Financial Aid office will be able to advise you on whether your program will qualify for StudentAid BC.
If you are currently receiving StudentAid BC funding, you may need to complete a Reassessment form (Appendix 7) in January to extend your end date to August. It is important that you submit this form to the Financial Aid & Awards Office early in the new year to ensure that additional funds are received by the field school payment deadlines. The additional funds are usually available 4 to 6 weeks after you submit your Reassessment application.
If you are not currently receiving StudentAid BC funding, and need financial assistance, contact VIU Financial Aid & Awards.