Length: 6.5 or 13 weeks
Location Offered: Nanaimo Campus
Do you want to attend a university in Canada but need to improve your English? Our University Preparation program offers a skills-based curriculum that prepares students for academic success. It will take you from an intermediate to an advanced speaker of the English language in just 2 levels. After successfully completing University Preparation level 5, you can begin your certificate, degree or diploma studies at our university.
Enter University Preparation in two ways: with an IELTS or TOEFL score, or by successfully completing Language Foundations level 3 at our university.
As an ESL student at our university, you will have access to our learning centre and be able to participate in sociocultural activities organised by the International Education faculty.
One level of University Preparation is 13-weeks.
A 13-week level is divided into two 6.5-week courses, each of which covers two skills.
To finish one level of University Preparation, both courses need to be completed.
- 20 hours per week of instruction.
- Start in January, February, April, June, August, October.
- Small classes, highly qualified, friendly, approachable teachers, and a wide range of learning materials.
- Students in University Preparation 5 may be eligible to take one academic credit course.
- Graduates from University Preparation 5 can enter Vancouver Island University degree, diploma and certificate programs directly (as long as academic pre-requisites met).
- A minimum grade of C (60%) is required to pass any of the University Preparation levels.
Students are encouraged to apply three months before the start of the program to allow enough time for visa processing.