Travel Medical Insurance
All students participating in a VIU Education Abroad Program (exchange, field school, internship, practica, summer program, etc) are required to enroll in and purchase the mandated travel medical policy through guard.me International Insurance (effective January 1, 2018).
Some things to remember:
- If you have a pre-existing condition that is not stable in the 3 months prior to departure or if you are over the age of 70, please contact guard.me for a medical questionnaire (email@example.com).
- Ensure your coverage dates begin from the day you plan to depart Canada, until the date of your planned return to Canada. If you are unsure about your program dates, contact EducationAbroad@viu.ca before purchasing the plan.
- Familiarize yourself with your plan, coverage and processes for submitting a claim before you leave.
- Keep your policy and Emergency Wallet Card on hand when travelling abroad. You will also receive a digital copy from the insurance provider. Forward a copy to VIU Education Abroad and print one for your wallet.
- Save the 24 Hour, Toll Free, Emergency Assistance Number in your phone and in a safe place at home in Canada.