Emergency Travel Medical Insurance
All students participating in a VIU Education Abroad Program (exchange, field school, internship, practica, summer program, etc) are required to enroll in and purchase the mandated travel medical policy through guard.me International Insurance (effective January 1, 2018).
Some things to remember:
- Ensure your coverage dates begin from the day you plan to depart Canada, until the date of your planned return to Canada. If you are unsure about your program dates, contact EducationAbroad@viu.ca before purchasing the plan.
- This plan is an emergency travel medical insurance plan and does not cover expenses relating to the maintenance of pre-existing conditions. If you have a pre-existing condition that has been stable in the 3 months prior to departure, an exacerbation of this condition may be covered only up until stabilization.
- If you would like trip cancellation/ interruption/curtailment coverage, this can be purchased under the guard.me Global A plan online at guard.me International Insurance once you now your program will run abroad. Note that the price of this plan varies based on your length of time abroad. This plan is non-refundable.
- Familiarize yourself with your plan, coverage and processes for submitting a claim before you leave.
- Keep your policy and Emergency Wallet Card on hand when travelling abroad. You will also receive a digital copy from guard.me. Forward a copy to VIU Education Abroad and print one for your wallet.
- Save the 24/7/365 Toll Free, Emergency Assistance Number in your phone and in a safe place at home in Canada. This number is conveniently located on your guard.me card which you will be emailed once you buy your coverage online at guard.me International Insurance.
- Do you have a spouse, parent or child(ren) who will accompany you on your experience abroad? You can buy coverage for them online at www.guard.meviuoutbound once you first book your own coverage.
- Extending your trip abroad? In order to extend your coverage, simply buy a new policy for the extra dates you require.
- If you are 66-69 years old, please contact email@example.com for the application form. Payment by Visa or MasterCard will be required. If you are 70 or older, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a medical questionnaire to determine eligibility. You will receive a quote which you will need to approve to proceed with purchase. Please note that only medical coverage and no travel benefits are available for ages 70+.