To be considered official, academic records must be received in official university envelopes, sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution and sent to Vancouver Island University by post or courier by the deadline noted in your offer letter.
To be considered official, academic transcripts from your highschool must be received in official school envelopes, sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution and sent to Vancouver Island University by post or courier by the deadline noted in your acceptance letter. You must provide VIU Admissions official final and complete transcripts and proof of graduation from your highschool studies for full acceptance to your program.
What to do, if …
- … your highschool issues only one original copy of transcripts and/or your diploma is irreplaceable
- Make photocopies of your original academic records and give them to your home institution and then ask your highschool to:
- Verify that the photocopies are consistent with their records.
- Have the Principal, Controller or Registrar’s Office attest that the copies are true photocopies and have them sign and stamp them with official institutional stamp or seal.
- Mail directly to:
Vancouver Island University
900 Fifth St
Nanaimo BC V9R 5S5
- …OR – take your original signed/stamped transcript to a notary public
- Have the notary view the original and make a photocopy
- Have the notary stamp and sign the photocopy, attesting to having seen the original
- Mail the copy to the mailing address above
- … your transcripts are issued in a language other than English
- Arrange to have a set of all official transcripts issued in their original language. If your highschool only issues one copy of the original transcripts, please follow the instructions above.
- Take your transcript to a certified English translator and ask them to provide a complete, word-by-word English translation.
- Be sure to have the translator sign and stamp the translated documents
- Send both the stamped/signed original transcripts and the signed English translation to the mailing address above.
VIU does NOT accept the following:
- Originals or photocopies that have not been stamped, attested and endorsed by the Principal/Controller/Registrar
- Photocopies of copies notarized by a notary public
- Photocopies endorsed by a lawyer, professor, judge etc.
- Unofficial translations done by the student
- Documents submitted in support of your applications become property of the University and will not be returned to the applicant or student