Date: Saturday, Aug 3, 2019 - Monday, Aug 5, 2019
Relax on this awesome camping tour with plenty of time to truly appreciate the great outdoors. After setting up camp at your beachfront location enjoy all the highlights of Canada’s favourite surf town Tofino.
Known as one of the most stunning towns on Canada’s West Coast, many locals from Vancouver and other major West Coast cities escape to Tofino for peace and relaxation. This serene city lovingly calls itself the “Tree Loving Capital of the World” and is home to many local artists and unique restaurants serving West Coast cuisine. Come and learn to surf the wild waves or you can have fun watching others do so! Whether you are seeking for adventure or just to take in all nature has to offer, Tofino has you covered!
- Stop for lunch at Coombs Market (where the goats live on the roof!)
- Explore the ancient giant cedar trees of Cathedral Grove
- Visit Long Beach, the town of Tofino, and have the opportunity to explore the countless hiking trails in the area, such as the Wild Pacific Trail and Tonquin Beach Trail.
- Camp on Mackenzie Beach and enjoy the sunset and the stars from your beachfront campsite!
- With two nights and three days in Tofino, you will have extra time to relax and explore the beautiful nature around Tofino, go on a tour to Hot Springs Cove, or other optional activities such as whale watching, surf lessons, kayaking, and more!
- Learn about Canadian heritage & traditions with your friendly and knowledgeable tour guide
- Have FUN!!!
3 Days, 2 Nights
Please note that the itinerary is subject to change due to unforeseen (weather) conditions. Departure times may vary by date, please see your confirmation email for exact departure times.
- Depart Vancouver for Horseshoe Bay (VIU Students will meet at Departure Bay)
- Take the ferry to Vancouver Island
- Visit the famous Coombs Market where goats live on the roof
- Explore Cathedral Grove and the giant cedar trees
- Visit Little Qualicum Falls
- Drive through Pacific Rim National Park and go for a hike along the Wild Pacific Trail
- Arrive at Mackenzie Beach Resort and set up camp
- Have an amazing beach bonfire and marshmallow roast
- Free day to participate in optional activities such as a full day excursion to hot springs cove, surfing, whale watching, bear watching, and kayaking ($)
- Explore pristine west coast beaches
- Free time for dinner at one of the local restaurants in Tofino ($)
- Morning at leisure
- Option to participate in more activities
- Return to Vancouver at approximately 10:00pm (VIU Students will be dropped off at Departure Bay)
Booking through Cultural Connections Team: Departure Bay Ferry Terminal in Nanaimo
Online booking: 999 Canada Place in front of the Pan Pacific Hotel
- Adult (18+): from $389
- Youth/Student with ID: from $359
- Youth/Student with ID Booking through VIU: from $329
- Roundtrip mini-bus transportation from downtown Vancouver
- Ferry cruise through the Strait of Georgia
- Guided sightseeing in Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park
- Two nights’ beachfront camping location at Mackenzie Beach Resort
- Camping gear including shared tent and sleeping bag
- Discounts on optional activities such as hot springs cove, surf lessons, whale watching, kayaking, and many more!
- Beach bonfire and marshmallow roast (weather, fire restrictions & season permitting)
- Friendly, experienced Tour Guide to make sure you have the best trip ever!
- All taxes, park fees and ferry fees
How to Sign Up
Our activities are available to all current VIU Students. Sign up with the Cultural Connections Team in person in Building 255.
You will need to have your:
- Student card,
- Proof of medical insurance (BC Care Card or Guard.me Insurance Policy)
- Payment (credit card is the only form of payment taken by DC Tours)
Hours & Locations for Signing Up with us:
Lunchtime Activity Information Desk Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12pm – 1pm in Building 255 - 1st Floor International Commons or by appointment (see contact information below)
Individually Online @ Discover Canada Tours - Note: Your pickup location will be different from those who sign up with the Cultural Connections Team.
You may cancel your tour at any time by notifying Discover Canada Tours at 1-855-689-8128.
If you cancel your overnight tour:
More than 30 days in advance for tours that are 2-3 days in duration, a full refund will be applied minus a $50 non-refundable administrative fee per passenger. If you cancel within 30 days prior to departure, your tour is 100% non-refundable.
More than 60 days in advance for tours 4+ days in duration, a full refund will be applied minus a $50 non-refundable administrative fee per passenger. If you cancel within 60 days prior to departure, your tour is 100% non-refundable.
If you fail to show up at the meeting spot on time and miss the tour, no refund will be issued. Please check the map and transit schedule well in advance to ensure that you can get to the meeting spot on time.
Kelsey Moon, Activity Program Coordinator
phone: 250.753.3245, Ext. 2737
cell phone: 250.618.2549