Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Please note, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has been renamed by the federal government, now known as Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). At present, IRCC’s website remains Government of Canada: Immigration and Citizenship

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is the sticker in your passport that permits you to enter Canada. Not all countries require TRV, follow this link for the list of countries that require visa to enter Canada

Your TRV must be valid when you enter Canada. Once you are here, it can expire. If you leave and want to return, you must make sure you have a valid TRV. Some students like to maintain a valid Visa in case they have to return home for emergency reasons.

Visa sample

How to renew your TRV

Entry visa

Students apply online or by X-press post to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa (CPC-O). Plan ahead as you will not have your passport during this time. IRCC (formerly CIC) will send you a message when it is time to send your passport to Ottawa

Can I renew it from my home country?
Yes. Before you leave Canada, check with the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in your country to see what documentation you need. Many countries require a confirmation letter from VIU. Please note, processing times are different that when applying within Canada.

Before you begin:

Access the IRCC (former CIC) website following this link to review the process.

Things to remember when applying:

  • Check your passport expiry date
  • Sign out a tutorial CD from the Reception Desk in Building 255
  • Gather the required documents
  • Come to an Immigration drop-in session to have your application reviewed.

There are two ways of applying for (TRV) within Canada:

  • Online: processing time is shorter and passport will be sent only after IRCC requests it.

Log into GCKey

  • Paper: processing time is longer, application fee must be paid online and receipt should be attached to the application, passport will be sent together in the same application package.

In general, all applicants must complete the following steps when applying for a TRV:

If applying online

If applying by paper

1. Fill out  the form Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa)

Validate it and save it with the same title IMM5257E with your initials (e.g. IMM5257 –ME)

Fill out the form, read it carefully, sign it and put the date at the end.

2. Complete the Document Checklist

Online Application will have the checklist when starting the Application.

Fill out this form only after gathering all required documents.

3. Provide Family Information

Answer online questions

Fill out the Family Information form. We suggest you include it even if not requested when applying by paper

4. Provide documents: Passport, TR Visa, Study Permit, Work Permit (whichever applies to you)

Scan your Passport photo page, Visa and any entry stamps to Canada, your Study Permit and Work Permit as a one file in PDF. Make sure it does not exceed 4MB.

Photocopy your Passport photo page, Visa and any entry stamps to Canada, your Study Permit, and Work Permit. Do not staple but put them together with a paper clip.

5. Passport style photo

Digital photo not exceeding 4 MB file. Please review IRCC photo specifications

Two passport size photos meeting the IRCC photo specifications

6. Enrollment Letter (Letter of Acceptance)

Scanned copy of Enrollment letter and Unofficial Transcripts in PDF as one file. Can be downloaded from your Student Record for free or student can order an Official Transcript from Bldg 200 for $18.

Original Enrollment Letter and copy of Unofficial Transcripts printed out from your Student Record.

7. Pay multiple entry visa fee

Once you upload all required documents, the system verifies your online signature and leads to payment page. Please make sure that your credit card has sufficient funds to pay the $100 fee.

If you are sending in a paper application, pay $100 fee by Credit Card on-line, print out the receipt and fill out the bottom portion by hand. Include this printed receipt with your application.

8. Send your passport

As soon as you submit your online application you will receive two automated responses from IRCC (CIC). Please read through the messages and wait for the “Passport Request” message which will contain the link indicating where to send the passport. Note, your passport will be sent to a different address than paper applications.

Before you send your Application remember to take a copy of the entire package. Then purchase two  pre-paid Xpresspost envelopes from Canada Post and write down the tracking numbers for both envelopes. The second envelope will be used to return your passport. If it is not included, your passport will be returned by regular mail. CPC-O will not use courier services to return passports.Then mail it to Ottawa. Please visit the IRCC (CIC) web-site for the details where to mail your documents.

9. Processing time

Assistance With Your Application

If, after you have started your application and reviewed the step-by-step instructions in the tutorials available at the Reception Desk in Building 255, and still have questions, please drop-in to see VIU International Immigration Advisor: See advising schedule here:  https://international.viu.ca/drop-hours

NOTE: Bring your application documents with you, your passport, study permit and student card. Follow this links to contact the international student advisors.