VIU International students

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

In order to work in Canada you must have a SIN (Social Insurance Number).  There is no fee to obtain a SIN and it is usually valid for the same duration as your study permit.  You are required to provide your SIN within three days of employment.  It is easier to apply for SIN online or by mail. Before applying, make sure to have: 

  • study permit with remark or condition stating " may accept employment" or "may work in Canada";
  • and a copy of your passport and your VIU student ID.

If a student’s study permit does not include the above mentioned remarks, it is recommended that the student apply for an amendment of study permit. There is no fee for amending the study permit. If student's study permit have a condition stating “prohibited from working in Canada”, student must apply to change study permit conditions prior applying for SIN. There is a $150 CAD fee for the renewal of a study permit.

How to Apply for SIN 

Social Insurance Number (Brochure) 

International Students and the Social Insurance Number