BECOME A HOST FAMILY
Wonderful local families provide support and assistance while International students adapt to the lifestyle and demands of a Canadian culture and the Nanaimo Community. If interested in becoming a host we encourage you to read through this information.
Learn more about Host Benefits and Responsibilities.
Who can apply?
Any family, couple or single person (over the age of 25), with or without children can apply.
Hosts must live near the University. Host families should be less than a 45 minute travel time by bus this includes walking time from home to the bus stop. Host families must also meet our Home Requirements.
Our Homestay Application is well-rounded processes to ensure we provide the best possible experiences for our students and also equip our hosts.
Applications are processed in the order they are completed and take into consideration the following:
- Location in proximity to Vancouver Island University
- Willingness to host either male or female
- Willingness to host either High School or University students
- Willingness to host students from any country
- Willingness to host students with particular dietary practices/restrictions
- Willingness to eat dinner with your students on nightly basis
- Willingness to invite students in family activities
- Meet proper home requirements
Making the Right Choice for You: If reading and hearing this information means that you feel that you would be a great fit for our program, please apply. Other options, may include posting your room for rent on Places4Students which is our off campus housing listing service for students
HOMESTAY HOST APPLICATION DEADLINES
|Term||Application Deadlines||*Homestay Start Date|
|Spring/ Summer 2019||CLOSED||Various Move-in Dates (April-August)|
August 25, 2019
September 1, 2019
* Move-in dates subject to change