The following are awarded on an annual basis and are presented in the Fall semester. Eligibility is based on the academic year (Fall, Spring, Intersession semesters), with decisions made in August for the International Education Awards Ceremony in November. One scholarship per student.
Community Engagement Award
The Faculty of International Education, VIU recognizes English Language Centre students who have demonstrated outstanding dedication and leadership to fellow students and to their community. There are two (2) awards (maximum) of $1,000 each.
- Application is required
- Based on outstanding community engagement
- Scholarships are awarded as a tuition credit at VIU
- Full-time ESL student in a program lasting at least 13 weeks
- Domestic and international students are eligible
- Achieve at least a Grade Point Average of “C” in the current academic year
- Be involved in non-profit community organizations at the university, municipal, provincial, national or international level
- Applicants who are currently receiving an honorarium for serving on committees may apply
- An applicant cannot receive this award twice for the same service commitments used in a previously successful application
Submit the following to the ELC Department Chair
- Completed application form
- One recommendation letter which addresses your community service
- Confirmation of enrollment in ESL courses at VIU
- Details regarding the frequency and intensity of volunteer work on and/or off campus
Application Deadline: July 15, 2016, 12:00 PM
Information on this award can be obtained from WorldVIU@viu.ca.
There are eight (8) awards (maximum) of $1,000 each.
- No application is required
- Awarded as a tuition credit
- Awards based on highest grade point average and a minimum of B (72%).
- top four grades in AP4 and AP5 combined
- top four grades in Access, AP1, AP2, AP3 combined.