Date: Saturday, Mar 17, 2018
About Tofino & Cathedral Grove
You can’t leave Vancouver Island without visiting the West Coast. From Pacific Rim National Park to Cox Bay, experience some of Canada’s most beautiful beaches and wild, rugged coastlines. On the way, we stop at Cathedral Grove and follow the trails through giant 800-year-old Douglas Fir trees. A stop in downtown Tofino reveals a quaint surfer town with local artisan shops and art galleries. Take some time to find the perfect café or restaurant and take in this laid back community’s unique coastal culture. Join us at some of our favourite beaches and watch the surfers catching beach and point breaks, or search the shoreline for Pacific Ocean treasures.
What to wear:
- Bring clothes for warm and cold weather
- A warm sweater and a light jacket (waterproof jacket if possible)
- Warm pants (if you have waterproof pants you may want to bring them)
- Appropriate footwear (running shoes, hiking boots, or gum boots)
- If you are going Whale Watching bring some warmer clothes
What to bring:
- A change of socks, shoes, and pants: your clothes may get wet
- Water bottle
- Money for shopping
- A small camera
- A packed lunch and dinner (unless you would like to buy your food)
- A warm hat or toque & gloves
VIU Building 255 - Main Lobby at 8:00 am
Transportation to and from Tofino, at short hike at Cathedral Grove, Whale watching time at the beach, shopping & free time.
Policies, Health & Safety
We have an ongoing commitment to ensure the safety and quality of our trips, with trained and responsible student leaders, staff and community partners. Before you sign-up, please check out our policies & procedures for more information about how to prepare for a trip, as well as our cancellation policy.
How to Sign Up
Our activities are available to all current VIU Students. Sign up with us in person in Building 255.
You will need to have your:
- Student card,
- Proof of medical insurance (BC Care Card or Allianz Global Assistance Insurance Policy)
- Payment (cash is currently the only method of payment for activities)
Hours & Locations for Signing Up with us:
Faculty of International Education Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:00pm in Building 255, 2nd Floor Reception.
Lunchtime Activity Sign Up Booth Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12pm – 1pm in Building 255 - 1st Floor Learning Commons.
Please read our general waiver form for VIU group activities in the attachment section below. All participants are required to read and sign the waiver before the start of the trip. We will provide a paper copy for you to read through again and sign the morning of the trip.
Kelsey Moon, Activity Program Coordinator
phone: 250-740-6315, Ext. 2737