Date: Saturday, May 26, 2018
Transfer Beach Blvd, Ladysmith BC
About Sea Kayaking in Ladysmith
Exploring Ladysmith Harbour’s quiet little bay by kayak is a lovely way to spend some time, especially if this is your first time in a kayak!
For our 1-hr intro tours we will be paddling along the shoreline of Ladysmith’s inner Harbour stopping at the estuary to quietly view waterbirds and possible wildlife such as bald eagles, harbour seals, sea lions. This tour is perfect for first time paddlers who just want to get out and experience kayaking!
Discover why the Town of Ladysmith has been called “One of the Prettiest Towns in Canada”. Find out why the harbour is the town jewel in this quaint, quiet community by the sea.
After our kaking tour, we will have time to enjoy the beautiful Transfer Beach with activities and food vendors. Then there is free time to walk through downtown Ladysmith, which features many unique shops and cafes!
Many people express concern about their ability to keep up with the rest of the group or about their limited paddling experience. With Sealegs, the group travels at the pace of the slowest paddlers. Their goal is to ensure all participants are comfortable, safe and enjoy the tour.
What to wear:
- Food and snacks to eat
- Shorts or quick drying pants. Blue jeans are not recommended. Avoid cotton fabrics. Silk or synthetic materials are best for keeping moisture away from skin and are ideal for underclothing. Light clothing that can be layered is best. Keep in mind that your outermost layer will be your PFD at all times. For colder conditions wear a fleece jacket and pants.
- Shoes that can get wet (old sneakers, aquasocks, sandals with ankle support)
- Extra set of clothing and shoes for your return to shore.
- Rainproof jacket and pants (in the event of rain)
- Hats - wool for cooler temps, or sun & rain protection
- Gloves for cooler temperatures
What to bring:
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Medication (before launching please inform the Head Guide if you require medication for asthma, allergies or other medical needs that may require attention during the tour)
- Insect repellent
- Water bottle (2 litres of water) - lots of water!
- Camera, film, binoculars (waterproof is recommended)
- If carrying a cell phone, ensure it is kept in an airtight/waterproof container – we have waterproof bags that can be lent to you.
- Money to purchase food from vendors at Transfer Beach or at shops in Ladysmith
VIU Building 255 Main Lobby
Transportation and guided sea kayaking tour
Policies, Health & Safety
We have an ongoing commitment to ensure the safety and quality of our trips, with trained and responsible student leaders, staff and community partners. Before you sign-up, please check out our policies & procedures for more information about how to prepare for a trip, as well as our cancellation policy.
How to Sign Up
Our activities are available to all current VIU Students. Sign up with us in person in Building 255.
You will need to have your:
- Student card,
- Proof of medical insurance (BC Care Card or Guard.me Insurance Policy)
- Payment (cash is currently the only method of payment for activities)
Hours & Locations for Signing Up with us:
Faculty of International Education Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4 pm in Building 255, 2nd Floor Reception.
Lunchtime Activity Sign Up Booth Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12 pm to 1 pm in Building 255, 1st Floor International Commons.
Please read our general waiver form for VIU group activities in the attchement section below. All participants are required to read and sign the waiver before the start of the trip. We will provide a paper copy for you to read through again and sign the morning of the trip.
Kelsey Moon, Activity Program Coordinator
phone: 250-753-3245, Ext. 2737